Teens In Between
What’s it all about
Teens In Between is a 6 week support group for 14-18 year old teenagers whose parents are going through divorce. It is a casual, laid back opportunity for teens to learn more about what to expect and how to cope with challenges that arise as families go through the pain and disruption of parental divorce. The meetings include a combination of information, discussion and activities.
In this group, your teen will
- Learn about the causes and effects of divorce
- Recognize and manage emotions and reactions that occur during parental divorce
- Develop some strategies to cope with stress and life changes that occur during divorce
- Be better prepared to deal with emotional and relationship conflicts that occur in divorced families
- Be better prepared to face the horrifying prospect of parental DATING and to navigate being part of a step family
- Learn ways to care for themselves and to find balance in their life
What teens will get from this support group:
- LOTS of ways to deal with different stuff that happens when parents divorce
- A chance to hang out with and learn from other kids going through divorce
- Snack food and drinks
- Week 1: The Big D. What’s the deal?
- Week 2: The Feels. Divorce related emotions and reactions
- Week 3: Really?! Seriously?! Coping with the stress
- Week 4: Rock and a Hard Place: Dealing with conflict
- Week 5: Awkward! Parent dating and step families
- Week 6: Futureworld. Taking care of yourself and your future
Participants: Teens 14-18 years old
Date of Next Series: Tuesday Nights, January 10-February 14, 2017
Location: Brentwood United Methodist Church, 309 Franklin Road, Brentwood, TN. Enter the church campus at the traffic light on Franklin Road. Go to the back of the church. Enter through the doors underneath the sweeping staircase (into the lower section of the church) to go to Room A184 over to the right.
Cost: Free. Registration is required: https://www.bumc.net/brentwood/connect/event-registration/
About Dr. Wellborn: Dr. James G. Wellborn is a clinical psychologist with a private practice in Brentwood, TN focusing on adolescents and families. He is the author of the book Raising Teens in the 21st Century: A Practical Guide to Effective Parenting. You can learn more about Dr. Wellborn by going to www.drjameswellborn.com.